Saturday, February 18, 2017

Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (2006)

Talladega nights.jpg  I like to think that I'm a relatively intelligent woman.  And then I go off and do stupid things to myself, like watching Talladega Nights.  Even though I hate Will Ferrell's style of comedy.  Even though I hate NASCAR.  Hell, I don't even like the state of Alabama and I'm from there.

Ricky Bobby (Will Ferrell) is a champion race car driver in the world of NASCAR with a beautiful wife (Leslie Bibb), a huge house, and the love of thousands of adoring fans.  Thanks to all this, he's a narcissistic materialist who thinks nothing of using people, like his best friend Cal (John C. Reilly), for his personal gain.  The team manager (Greg Germann), who hates Ricky with a passion, hires Formula-1 driver Jean Girard (Sacha Baron Cohen) to teach the brash star a lesson in humility.  Disgraced after his first loss, Ricky moves back home with his mother (Jane Lynch) until his erstwhile father (Gary Cole) comes back to help Ricky recover his nerve.

This is a stupid, stupid film filled with only the most base humor.   I didn't laugh at any point during the runtime.

And yet *she said through gritted teeth* it showed a clear progression of character development, good use of action scenes, and managed its pacing well overall.  *Fight through the pain, it's okay, you can do this.*  So even though I found it completely devoid of humor, I cannot in good conscience say that it is a bad movie.  *Deep breaths.  Just grit it out.  It's almost over.*  I think it's actually a better movie than Man of Steel, or Batman vs Superman thanks to it actually having a character arc, and it's still a better relationship movie than the Twilight series.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I think I'll take the rest of the day to recover from the torture of having to say nice things about a Will Ferrell NASCAR movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment