Saturday, February 11, 2017

The Naked Gun (1988)

  Okay, so this is one of those untouchable movies like Airplane or Spaceballs that you just do not talk shit about.  Except, unlike those other two films, this one has not held up well to the ravages of time.

Frank Drebin (Leslie Nielsen) is an L.A. police officer assigned to the prestigious Police Squad division.  While investigating the shooting of a fellow officer (O.J. Simpson) after a drug bust gone bad, Frank stumbles upon a plot by a prominent businessman (Ricardo Montalban) to kill Queen Elizabeth II (Jeanette Charles) during her visit to L.A.

Honest to God, this is a terrible movie.  It's one stupid, slapstick gag after another with no attempt at originality or genuine cleverness.  Of course, I'm coming at this now with 20+ years of watching some of the best comedies ever made.  I remember seeing this as kid and thinking it was funny, although now that I'm considering it, I never tried to watch it ever again.

This kind of physical comedy doesn't appeal to me unless it's paired with a truly witty script.  As always, your mileage may vary.

1 comment:

  1. I hated this series, myself. I was never a fan of slapstick, and Leslie Nielsen had better work elsewhere. I've only seen these movies a lot because my friends insisted on playing them. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete