Sunday, December 31, 2017

Pitch Perfect 3 (2017)

Pitch Perfect 3.jpg  I wanted to make sure this got in before my year-end review, which is coming later today.

The Barden Bellas have all graduated and gotten jobs out in the real world but they don't find it as satisfying as the time they spent with each other.  So when Legacy Bella Emily (Hailee Steinfield) calls for a reunion, the girls are super excited, only to find that Emily misspoke and was really just inviting them to watch the undergrad New Bellas perform.  Despondent, the old Bellas commiserate around the bar until Aubrey (Anna Camp) announces that she can pull strings with her father and get the Bellas on the annual USO tour, this year hosted by DJ Khalid (himself).  There, they must compete against bands that play actual instruments to get DJ Khalid's attention if they want to win the coveted opening slot for him on the last day of the tour.  Meanwhile, Fat Amy's (Rebel Wilson) estranged father (John Lithgow) tracks her down with the hope of reconnecting.

I wish I could say that this movie blew me away, but truthfully, it's just all right.  It's still hilarious, the music is still great, and it wraps up the Bellas' storylines but it feels like it's still chasing the magic of the original.  The original worked so well because it was such a surprise.  2 and 3 are not surprises.  They've become old hat.

Let's get real, though.  I've already bought the soundtrack.  I'm going to buy the movie.  I am a fan.  But even as a fan, I know that this should absolutely be the end of the road for this franchise.

No comments:

Post a Comment