Monday, June 1, 2015

Pitch Perfect 2 (2015)



























I actually saw this last weekend.  I just had a lot of backlog.  I'm going to take a minute to describe some of the crap going on in my life.  If you're not interested, keep scrolling down to where the movie review starts.

Y'all, it has been nuts.  I went on vacation to Puerto Rico two weeks ago (the weekend I didn't post anything), then I was sick for a week.  Memorial Day weekend I did a lot of visiting with people and also started looking for a new apartment.  See, Christy is moving to Alabama and I am downsizing to a one-bedroom as soon as our lease is up at the beginning of August.  Of course, that means that I have to locate a new place, notify my current place, get a move out date, set up a move in date at the new place, identify all the shit I don't want to take, box up everything that's left, hire a moving service and a cleaning service and somehow also pass an eight-week Biology course.  I've done all of this before (except for the college part) and I'm sure this won't be the last time, but it does cause me a certain anxiety trying to get all the pieces to fall into place.  You guys have been great to stick with me this far and I hope you will continue to do so.  I'm going to keep posting movies as often as I can, whether they be from Netflix, personally owned, cloned from a server, or brand new to theaters.

Ok, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

I had intended to see this on opening weekend.  The original Pitch Perfect was one of those phenomenal surprises and, while I didn't think the sequel could do it justice, I was willing to throw more money towards the continuing adventures of Beca, Chole, Fat Amy and the crew.

The Barden Bellas are on a roll.  Under the guidance of Beca (Anna Kendrick) and Chloe (Brittany Snow), the acapella group has reached new heights, performing at Lincoln Center for the President.  Then, a wardrobe malfunction plunges the girls into international embarrassment, resulting in their censure by the college.  They will be unable to audition new members, defend their title, or go on tour.  Beca makes a deal with the administrators that if the Bellas can win the World Championships, they will be reinstated, but the competition from German powerhouse group Das Sound Machine is fierce.  Beca is also feeling the strain of trying to help her team and also move forward with her life, accepting an internship at a record label under a famous producer (Keegan-Michael Key).  Chloe reaches out to an old friend to help the Bellas be a team again.

This was so much better than I thought it was going to be.  There was a joke practically every other line, so many that I'll have to watch the movie at least once more just to make sure I got them all.  They upped the mash-up game this time around, and added at least one original song, provided by newcomer Hailee Steinfeld, who plays a legacy pledge from a Bella family, circumventing the "no newbies" rule.  Everything that made the first movie great is back and turned up to 11.

No comments:

Post a Comment