Saturday, June 2, 2018

Free Fire (2016)

I've almost caught up on my backlog of movies.  I'm thinking of doing a marathon of all the Marvel movies in order up to Infinity War as a feature.  What do you guys think?  But first...   I was vaguely interested in this when it hit theaters but didn't see it and immediately forgot about it afterwards, probably because of school.  Then I saw it in Best Buy and couldn't remember if I had bought it on a whim already or not.  I hadn't, but it was free on Amazon Prime streaming so I just played it there.

A drug deal goes horribly awry, leaving both parties at am impasse over a lot of guns and money.  Last one out alive gets to keep everything but getting to that point is going to be harder than initially thought.

The cast is really what sells this film.  Brie Larson, Cillian Murphy, Armie Hammer, and Sharlto Copley are the big names but Sam Riley and Jack Reynor are the breakout performances, the former as Stevo, a royal fuckup, and the latter as Harry, the justifiably pissed off instigator of the deal's disintegration.  This is much more the type of morally ambiguous role that I think Hammer should be playing, as well, though I wish he had lost the bramble bush of facial hair.  Larson doesn't have a lot to do here as the only female character but she exists and that's fine.

This isn't going to end up on my top ten list for the year I don't think, but it's a fun watch if you're in the mood for something violent but not depressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment