Sunday, August 12, 2018

MCU Watch pt 2

Okay, so we had a few events going on this weekend so we only got to finish up Phase 1 of the MCU today.  Both films clock in at over two hours so that's still a good chunk of time devoted to all things Marvel.

Captain America:  The First Avenger - I have literally not watched this since it was in theaters.  I have watched both seasons of Agent Carter more times than I have watched this film.  It was shocking, therefore, to realize just how good it really is.  Everything came together so perfectly in it.  Hayley Atwell, Tommy Lee Jones, Dominic Cooper, Stanley Tucci, and of course, Chris Evans all played their respective characters as if they had never had another part in their lives.  Plus, there were cameos from actors I didn't expect like Richard Armitage and Natalie Dormer just hanging out, blending in like it's nothing.  This was the first truly great Marvel film.

The Avengers - Again, I haven't sat down and actually watched the first Avengers since I saw it in the theaters.  Remember how exciting it was?  Before Thanos showed up and just ruined everything?  Honest-to-God, I forgot the Chitauri were even a thing.  The whole Battle of New York was such a big deal.  And it was the first time we got to see Hawkeye and Black Widow do their thing.  Of course, there was that whole thing where Coulson died (and I still think that was ham-handed) but this movie could have been a trainwreck and it wasn't.  It pulled together the team we knew and loved and set up the Mad Titan storyline that would one day break our hearts.  Also, fun thing I noticed this time:  early in the film, when Tony and Pepper are discussing the finalization of Stark Tower, Coulson calls.  Tony, being Tony, tries to duck the video call by saying "you've reached the Life Model Decoy of Tony Stark."  I damn near fell off my couch, thanks to season four of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. introducing me to what those things are.  The show hadn't even gotten off they ground yet and I have no idea if they planned it out that far in advance, but it wouldn't surprise me.

No comments:

Post a Comment