Friday, October 26, 2018

Horrorthon 2018 Day 26 - It (2017)

  ZOMG you guys.  I was really hesitant about seeing this film because I thought there was no way it could live up to the hype.  I was so wrong.  This movie is amazing!

Seven children in Derry, Maine are terrorized and forced to confront an evil entity calling itself Pennywise the Dancing Clown (Bill Skarsgaard).

This version just sticks with the kids' encounter with Pennywise and also updates the action from 1960 to 1988-89.  Functionally, this makes no difference except that Batman is playing in the theater instead of I Was a Teenage Werewolf.  The kids' roles have been switched up a little.  Stan (Wyatt Oleff) is now studying for a bar mitzvah instead of Boy Scouts.  Ben (Jeremy Ray Taylor) is now the historian of the group while Mike (Chosen Jacobs) is more of the outsider.  This film implies pretty heavily that Bev's (Sophia Lillas) father (Stephen Bogaert) abused her sexually instead of physically but shows nothing so that's a plus.

Bill Skarsgaard.  You beautiful, weird, Swedish monster.  I didn't think anyone could fill Tim Curry's huge clown shoes but you did it.  /wipes away tear  Bravo!

I'm so excited about Part 2!  But also really nervous because how can anyone hope to follow that?  I can definitely see this being my new go-to horror film.

Pumpkin rating:  5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment