Sunday, January 5, 2020

Anna and the Apocalypse (2017)

  I got this for Christmas from my boyfriend so we decided to watch it Saturday.  I had heard very good things about this Christmas zombie musical and I am happy to report that it did not disappoint.

Anna (Elsa Hunt) is ready to begin a life of adventure after leaving high school but her dad (Mark Benton) is having some trouble letting go.  On Christmas Eve, however, all of that ceases to matter when a viral outbreak sets loose a plague of zombies.  Anna and her friends must fight their way to the school to rescue their loved ones, trapped since the night before attending the annual student variety showcase.  Crushes are addressed, old flames confronted, new baggage meets old, you know, high school.

The music is very good and all three of the female leads are excellent but the movie lives and dies by Steph (Sarah Swires), the take-no-shit school journalist who does all of the heavy lifting (on and off camera, as the sole listed choreographer).  You'll see what I mean when you get to the "Santa Boys", a number that instantly catapulted Anna and the Apocalypse up to Mean Girls-level for inappropriate school dances.  There are definitely nods to Shaun of the Dead but I think the reference to La La Land does it a disservice.  I actually enjoyed this movie.  It's unconventional and your mileage may vary, but I think it's a great addition to the Christmas musical canon.

No comments:

Post a Comment