Sunday, February 23, 2020

I Lost My Body (2019)

  This was nominated for Best Animated film and I get why.  It looks more hand-drawn than computer-animated.  It's also French and the Academy likes to highlight non-English animation.

Naoufel (Hakim Faris) loses his hand in an industrial accident.  The hand comes to life and scuttles around the streets of Paris to be reunited with its owner, reliving Naoufel's life in flashbacks as he is orphaned, made a foster child in a new country, meets a girl, lightly stalks her,  learns a new trade, confronts her with his stalking, leading to the accident and subsequent separation.

I was on board with this movie despite the stalking right up until the ending.  I didn't like the stalking angle, and I'm tired of shit like that being portrayed as romantic when it's actually really creepy, but I was willing to see where the movie went.  And it went... completely left of center.  I just couldn't get where the character's head was at in any way.  So I can't really recommend this film as anything other than pretty and kind of meditative.  It is currently streaming on Netflix.

No comments:

Post a Comment