Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Can I Offer You Some TV in These Trying Times?

This blog has been a shitshow recently.  I'm aware.  I've found it difficult to use my normal process in these extraordinary times.  All the things on my TBW list are depressing Oscar nominees for the past ten years, grimdark prestige TV dramas, or humanitarian crisis documentaries.  I honestly didn't know I was going to be so badly affected but I have fucking struggled to get through them.  Even horror movies!  My life blood!  I got through an hour and a half of The Last House on the Left and turned it off.

So what have I been watching?

Crazy Delicious on Netflix.  It is bright, colorful, and British that almost soothes the ache of no new GBBO episodes.  But binge carefully.  There are only six episodes and they go by like a snap.

Tried to watch The Mentalist on Amazon.  Maybe in happier times I could have appreciated this for a fun, brainless watch-while-scrolling-on-my-phone show but I just couldn't get settled with it.  I think it was trying to be a darker, more serious Psych and it just didn't work for me.

Repair Shop is great if you need to cry at every episode watching people get cherished heirlooms repaired by master craftsmen with charming accents.  Watch out for s2 ep1 though.  It suckers you in with a sweet little old lady and then hits you with concentration camp survivor's story.  On Netflix.

Zumbo's Just Desserts.  I just tried the first episode last night while I was searching for something similar to Crazy Delicious.  It is an Australian dessert competition and it's more closely aligned to American shows than GBBO.  The judges are a little bitchier, freer with a backhanded compliment than their British counterparts.  Maybe you like that, though.

Hannibal is now on Netflix and I've been rewatching parts of s1 to refresh before I jump into s2.  Got bogged down by ep 10, though, so it's taking a bit.

Same with Agents of SHIELD.  I got through s2 again but I feel like it's taking too long.

Season 7 of Arrow is a masochistic slog at this point.

Tyler and I were watching Supergirl but got to the crossover with the Arrowverse and switched to The Flash to catch up.  We got up to season 3 of Flash but it has also bogged down because Barry is being an idiot and that annoys the shit out of Tyler.

Legends of Tomorrow killed off one of our favorite characters and we're mad at it.

Watched two episodes of Veep but I don't have the attention span for more at the moment.  It is funny, though.

That's all I can think of at the moment.  See, it's not that I'm not watching stuff.  It's just that I haven't finished anything.  I keep bouncing from thing to thing hoping for that one hit of dopamine but I haven't found it yet.  When I do, I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment