Saturday, October 3, 2020

Only Lovers Left Alive (2013)

  You might have guessed by now that I'm not doing my 31 Days of Horror feature this year, seeing as it's Oct 3 and I haven't started.  This year has been hard enough without trying to push myself to watch a movie a day.  I want this to be a hobby not a stressor.  But that doesn't mean I'm not going to watch horror movies.  I love them.


A vampire (Tilda Swinton) tries to get her immortal husband (Tom Hiddleston) to remember his joie de vivre but a sudden visit from her chaotic little sister (Mia Wasikowska) may spoil everything.

It's intensely rare for a film to be so perfectly cast but this is.  Swinton and Hiddleston don't even need makeup to play pale and perfect.  Plus, it has performances from the late Anton Yelchin and John Hurt, as well as a small bit for Jeffrey Wright.

I didn't watch this movie last year for my feature because it's not precisely a horror film.  It's just a vampire film, which is not the same thing to me.  I watched it this year, though, because I frankly need a good vampire film every once in a while.  They soothe me.  And this was like a balm to my weary Gothic little soul.  This basically just reaffirmed my commitment to vampirism as a way of life.  Honestly, creatures of the night, hit me up.  I'd be so good at it.  Like, I would be an okay werewolf but I would rock the shit out of being a vampire.

Only Lovers Left Alive is currently streaming on Starz, which I get through Amazon Prime.

No comments:

Post a Comment