Sunday, February 21, 2021

Daughter (2019)

  Kanopy is out here killing it with access to last year's shorts.  

A woman thinks about the distance between herself and her father as he lies in the hospital bed.

This short has no dialogue and it doesn't need any.  Everything is perfectly characterized and understood.  Daria Kascheeva wrote, directed, filmed, edited, did sound design, held a foley, and painted/designed the papier-mâché puppets.  

I spend a lot of time watching movies (duh) and not feeling very much about them.  I don't relate to a lot of stuff, especially not coming-of-age stories, because none of them seem very representative of my life experiences.  Like, I have enough empathy to get where they're going with it, I just don't feel like it relates to me.  This 14-minute short made me cry for like at least six of those minutes.  No words.  No special effects.  Just feels.  Now maybe it won't for you.  Maybe you'll be bored as hell watching this.  But I have spent the majority of my life on this planet feeling like a cuckoo's egg.  My family loves me but they have never understood anything about me.  It's isolating, and it's hard.  This short captures all of that in the silence of things unspoken.

No comments:

Post a Comment