Saturday, February 20, 2021

Sister (2018)

  Not to be confused with the other Oscar short from the same ceremony called A Sister, this is a stop-motion animated short.  Content warning:  abortion

A man (Binglang Liu) reminisces about growing up with an annoying younger sister, except that he didn't because he grew up under China's One Child policy.

I'm not going to make light of what was clearly a humanitarian crisis.  I think history will record it as being one of the most draconian policies ever enacted.  This short isn't really the form for addressing it, either, and it knows.  It's intended to be a personal musing on a family tragedy and your mileage will vary depending on how you feel about that.

It is only streaming on Kanopy, which is a free service you can get with a library card.  I had it through the University of Maryland while I was attending and it was great.  I finally broke down and signed up for a local library card just so I could have it again.  Which now brings me up to nine streaming services, free or otherwise, that I use routinely.  And there's still shit that's unavailable!  Amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment