Sunday, November 14, 2021

Wild (2014)

  I forget how good an actress Reese Witherspoon is.  Even when she's in crap films, she's extremely watchable.  She didn't quite "ugly up" here (or at least not enough to get an Oscar) but this is the most stripped down I've ever seen her.

Cheryl Strayed (Reese Witherspoon) has decided to hike the 1000 miles of Pacific Crest Trail with no training or experience in order to regain some control of her life, which has spiraled into addiction and misery after the death of her mother (Laura Dern).  She sets out on her three-month journey weighed down by guilt and a mammoth pack of supplies, hoping to lighten both burdens by the end.

I couldn't relate to anything in this story.  I found all of her responses to stimuli completely incomprehensible, which oddly, made it worth watching.  I had no idea what was coming next at any point in this film.  

Really, the only thing I got out of it was that a woman could literally walk a thousand miles into the wilderness and still not escape creepy-ass dudes.  What the fuck is that about?  Wild is currently unavailable for streaming except to rent.  I got it through Netflix by disc.

No comments:

Post a Comment