Saturday, April 2, 2022

Sunshine (2007)

  Content warning:  suicide

Okay, so I had tried to watch this a couple of years ago when it was on Hulu but it stressed me out so bad I had to stop.  Space is bad and no one should go there.  Space and the ocean.  Nothing good happens in either one.

The crew of the Icarus II have a giant bomb that they have to deploy into the sun in order to kickstart it and keep Earth from freezing to death.  On course for a slingshot around Mercury, they discover a distress beacon from Icarus I, the previous attempt which had failed with no warning and no word about the crew or the payload.  Physicist Robert Capra (Cillian Murphy) makes the decision to change course and grab the bomb from Icarus I on the assumption that two are better than one.  Everything goes wrong from there.  Cabin fever, sabotage, guilt, suicide, resentment, and the morbid math of "how much oxygen can we have if there are a couple fewer breathers" all combine into 90 of the tensest moments I've ever spent in my life.

This isn't technically a horror movie, though it does have horror elements.  I would classify it as a thriller but it certainly makes a case for the sun being an eldritch horror.  Anyway, you should watch it if you like being terrified of space or if you like Rose Byrne, Chris Evans, Michelle Yeoh, Benedict Wong, Mark Strong, and Hiroyuki Sanada.  Pretty people trapped in space and turning on one another.  Mmmm.  Eat your heart out, Agatha Christie.  

According to my phone, this is currently streaming on Paramount+ but I got it on disc from Netflix.

No comments:

Post a Comment