Sunday, April 10, 2022

99 Homes (2014)

  I didn't like this movie but I found it hard to articulate why to myself.  I think it comes down to the ending, which feels very soft.  I think it needed to be either much more hopeful or much more tragic.

Construction worker Dennis Nash (Andrew Garfield) lost his home to foreclosure thanks to ruthless real estate broker, Rick Carver (Michael Shannon).  Desperate for cash, Nash takes a job for Carver, working his way up the ladder to become Carver's right-hand man.  What began as a means to an end --getting his family home back-- becomes muddled as Nash's association with Carver's unscrupulous business dealings becomes routine.  

There's nothing really wrong with the film.  I just didn't feel like it stuck the landing.  That's probably why it's streaming for free on Tubi and not one of the premium streamers.  If you like Garfield or Shannon, it's worth watching for their performances and Laura Dern has never turned in poor work.  Otherwise, I'd say keep looking.  There's so much content out there.  No point wasting time on half-measures.

No comments:

Post a Comment