Saturday, April 30, 2022

The Heartbreak Kid (2007)

  I don't know about love, but this movie blows.

Eddie (Ben Stiller) is desperate to find someone to settle down with, so when he meets-cute with Lila (Malin Akerman), he rushes into a whirlwind marriage.  On the drive from San Francisco to Cabo, the bloom of romance begins to fade for Eddie as he discovers all of Lila's annoying habits and worrying past.    Complicating matters, Eddie also meets Miranda (Michelle Monaghan) at the same resort.  Eddie is sure Miranda is perfect for him and if he can just get rid of Lila and those pesky wedding vows, he'd be free to pursue her.  But Miranda's cousin (Danny McBride) is suspicious of Eddie and will do whatever he can to keep them apart.

This is the most irritating movie.  I'm not a Ben Stiller fan on the best of days and he is obnoxious here.  Eddie is meant to be sympathetic, I think, but that defied my suspension of disbelief.  The side characters are one-note, crude caricatures.  There is no development for them or for the main characters, so at least they are consistent.  The good news is that by fast-forwarding through all the parts I found annoying, I was able to watch the whole thing in under 45 minutes.

Why was I watching it at all, you might well ask.  This is one of the movies I added to my queue when Christy moved out and I was trying to watch all our combined movie collection.  That was in 2012.  

Yep.  I am still trying to get to movies I added a decade ago.  

It's streaming on HBO Max and if you are a fan of the Farrelly Brothers' other work, it might be worth it for you.  It was not for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment