Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Crows Zero (2007)

  I think I put this in my queue in 2009.  Netflix made it unavailable and it has remained so ever since.  Fortunately, the whole movie (subbed or dubbed, your choice) is available on YouTube.  Video quality isn't great, but it's not bad.

Genji (Shun Oguri) has just transferred to Suzuran Senior High School for Boys.  The school is a battle royale and Genji has been promised his father's (Gorô Kishitani) position as head of the yakuza if he can become King of the Crows.  He recruits Suzuran dropout and minor rival yakuza henchman Ken Katagiri (Kyôsuke Yabe) for help in forming a faction to challenge the reigning champion Serizawa (Takayuki Yamada).

This is a fun, violent movie with a lot of camaraderie through beating the shit out of each other.  If it feels a little familiar, it is a tried and true method of male bonding in film.  The action is good, the music is good, and it even comes across as rather sweet.  Equal opportunity this one is not, however, as the only female character with any lines is reduced to damsel in distress pretty quickly.  The only other parts available were Victim and Sex Worker.  Otherwise, it's not bad.

I've been watching Critical Role as my Comfort Show and I signed up for YouTube Premium because their ads are the freakin' worst so I have no idea how many ad breaks Crows Zero has.  The free trial is three-months long and I'd encourage anyone who uses YouTube more than once a month to just go for it.  Just remember to cancel before you have to pay.

No comments:

Post a Comment