Sunday, June 13, 2010

The A-Team (2010)

a_team.jpg image by caz87 So many people talked about this movie. I was super-excited about the idea, was counting down the days til it came out, and even compared other films to it preemptively.

I wish I had some Plan B to rid myself of this celluloid mistake. What a waste of time. Everybody said The Losers was "The A-Team Lite". Well, those people are retarded. Of the two movies, The Losers was miles and away the better. And it was only so-so.

This was just bad. I mean, terrible. To make matters worse, the first half of the movie is pretty fun. It's got a good mix of humor, explosions, and exposition. But the shittiness of the second half completely erodes all my good-will. If you've read more than one entry here, you know how I feel about shaky camera-work during action scenes. If you're just tuning in, I HATE IT. All camera operators: have your seizures somewhere else. Don't ruin my good time by trying not to bite off your own tongue at work.

The director/writer Joe Carnahan tried so hard to make the movie resonate more than the TV show that he added a bunch of touchy-feely moments between characters. One of the main ones involves Bradley Cooper and Jessica Biel in a photo booth. It's supposed to be full of longing and unresolved sexual tension. It's actually boring because there is zero chemistry between the two actors. Another involved Bradley Cooper and Sharlto Copley. That was actually more painful because they weren't pretending to be attracted to each other.

The story is ludicrous and the action pieces at the end are ridiculously overstaged. I feel sorry for Patrick Wilson for being a part of this movie. He was in Hard Candy, for God's sake! He deserves better! This movie was a shameful rip-off of Ocean's Eleven and should be dishonorably discharged from this planet.

1 comment: