Saturday, February 12, 2011

Winter's Bone (2010)

Nominated for:  Best Picture, Best Supporting Actor, Best Actress, Best Adapted Screenplay

 I downloaded this one to my iPod for the flight from DC to Amsterdam.  It was a 9 hour flight so I figured I'd have time to get a couple of nominees watched.

I think I seriously underestimated this movie.  The synopsis didn't sound very interesting to me.  I knew all the critics completely lost their shit over it but we've differed in opinions before so I try not to give them too much weight.

It was very good, though.  Reminded me a lot of Brick, which if you haven't seen you should drop whatever you are doing and remedy that situation.  It's a slow-burning noir about a 17-year-old girl looking for her father, a bail jumper who has put their property up as collateral.  If she doesn't find him, she, her nearly-catatonic mother, and her two younger siblings will be out on the street.  To do that, she has to reach out to her meth-cooking uncle and a host of vaguely related hillbillies.

The movie does a great job of depicting an insular community who only respect their own laws.  To jump venues real quick, this is how I wished the were-panther community was portrayed in TrueBlood.  This is much more like how the Norris clan was depicted in the books versus in the TV show.  Although the phrase "my double-cousin Beaufort" will live forever in TV quote history.

Granted, watching it on a 3.5 in screen wasn't the greatest experience.  I think I'll pull it from Netflix to give it a second look.  If it's still good the second time, I may buy it.

UPDATE 4/12/11:  So I made good on my decision to re-watch on Netflix.  It is a good film, better than I initially gave it credit for and much better on a flatscreen than an iPod screen but I just don't think it has the potential for multiple views so I'm not going to buy it.  Great film though.

No comments:

Post a Comment