Saturday, July 7, 2012

The Goonies (1985)


  Hope everyone still has all their fingers after the 4th!  Personally, it's one of my least favorite holidays which is why I generally spend my 4ths with a fifth.  Ha!

But not this year!  Rob had to pull a 24 hour shift at his job (military) so other people could spend time with their families.  Before you get all warm and gushy inside, he was spending it with his two favorite co-workers and the three of them ate ice cream and watched movies until they were ready to explode.  What a hardship, right?

Meanwhile, I got together with the wives of said co-workers for our own little moviefest.  Despite being near petrified to hang out with them because they were strangers, I grabbed an assortment of movies and went anyway.  Turns out, they are a pair of kickass ladies who love them some horror films.  Win!

But first we had to watch The Goonies, because one of the ladies (I try not to name people in case they don't want to be associated with me) had never seen it.  Which is a damn shame.

This movie practically defined childhood for me.  Again, I was much too young when it initially came out but I have seriously fond memories of watching this on TV.  What I wouldn't have given to be a Goonie at age seven! 

Facing the threat of foreclosure, the band of kids known as the Goonies decides to do something constructive:  find a stash of treasure left behind by local pirate legend One Eyed Willy.  The emotional center of this film is Mikey (Sean Astin), a kid who fervently believes that the legends are all true and that Goonies never say die!  His older brother Brand (Josh Brolin) would rather be working out or trying to make time with local hottie Andy (Kerri Green) but is stuck babysitting.  Poking around in the attic, Mikey and his friends discover a map and set off in search of adventure.  It leads them to an off-season restaurant and straight into the clutches of the Fratelli family of infamous criminals.  Mikey's friends Mouth (Corey Feldman), Data (Ke Huy Quan), and Chunk (Jeff Cohen) each have their special talents which lead to the discovery of an underground passage filled with booby traps.  With the Fratellis on their heels, it's a race to determine if they'll get out with their lives, much less the fabled treasure.

Fortunately, the movie holds up astonishingly well for being almost thirty years old with only the horrible 80s fashions to date it.  The message -- kids making their way through an adventure using only their wits and the power of teamwork -- is still just as awesome, the bad guys just as ruthless, and the ship full of pirate loot just as glorious.  I found the cast of kid actors to be a lot screechier than I remember but I don't think that children in general know how loud they really are.  It's the one time in your life where EVERYTHING is magnified because it's all so new and exciting. 

The girl who had never seen it didn't offer up any criticism on that point so I think that maybe it's just my natural hatred of crotchfruit coloring my perceptions.  She seemed to really enjoy the film which was no surprise because, duh, I already said these chicks were cool.  Neither one of them even balked when I showed them Hard Candy after this because I can't resist showing that movie to the unsuspecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment