Friday, December 26, 2014

Magnum Force (1973)

I'll be traveling back to Maryland tomorrow so I won't be able to post anything.  I haven't even gotten to the movies I watched while I was visiting my family so stay tuned.    For Christmas, Christy got me a four-pack of Dirty Harry movies so I could finally see the whole series.  I was so excited I broke my own alphabetized system so I could go ahead and watch them. 

Harry Calahan (Clint Eastwood) is on loan to an undercover squad with a brand new partner (Felton Perry) instead of on his usual homicide beat because he keeps pissing off his lieutenant (Hal Holbrook).  However, when a vigilante starts targeting high-level San Francisco criminals, Harry fights to get reassigned.  As fast and loose as he plays with the law, Harry does not appreciate people flouting it completely.

As sequels go, this one isn't terrible.  It's straightforward, action-heavy, and not burdened overmuch by exposition.  If you liked Dirty Harry and you wanted to see more of the character, you won't be disappointed.  He shows a little more brains here as well as an abundance of brawn.  This also has the distinction of featuring a very young Tim Matheson and Robert Urich as rookie cops newly assigned to Homicide.  They're not given an awful lot to do but they look adorable doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment