Sunday, June 28, 2015

The Lorax (2012)

  This was way cuter than I thought it was going to be.  I had heard that it was a little too heavy-handed with the environmental message so I hadn't made any sort of effort to see it, but I was really missing out.  It is adorable!

Ted (Zac Efron) wants to impress Audrey (Taylor Swift), but the only thing she wants is a tree.  See, Ted and Audrey live in the town of Thneedville, where everything is made of plastic and fresh air has to be bought in bottles from Mr. O'Hare (Rob Riggle).  Real trees are nowhere to be found.  But Ted's Grandma (Betty White) tells him that way outside of town lives a man called Once-ler (Ed Helms) and if anybody knows what happened to the trees, it would be him.  Because he killed them.

This is the same studio that did Despicable Me and a lot of the non-main character voices sound like they could have been Minions.  Otherwise, this is definitely a unique film that stands on its own merits.  It is very upfront with its agenda but I never felt like I was being force-fed something to which I didn't already ascribe belief.  I don't think there is an age too early for people to start teaching their kids responsibility and that includes social and environmental concerns.  Your beliefs may be different.  Regardless, The Lorax is a super-cute film from start to finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment