Saturday, June 27, 2015

The First Wives Club (1996)

Thefirstwivesclub.jpg  God, this movie is soooooo 90's.  Don't get me wrong, I still love it to pieces, but it isn't exactly immortal.  Although, it does function as a decent time capsule, like a fly preserved in amber.

Three best friends from college get together after twenty years at the funeral of their fourth friend, Cynthia (Stockard Channing).  Cynthia committed suicide after a very public revelation that her husband had left her for another, younger woman.  Annie (Diane Keaton), Elise (Goldie Hawn), and Brenda (Bette Midler) find themselves in the exact same situation, but they resolve to get revenge on their exes instead.  Along the way, they discover that you really can do anything as long as you've got the right friends.  And a ton of money.  And accomplices.  And mob ties.  But mostly money.

This came out when I was still in high school and I must have seen it a dozen times before I graduated.  At some point, I believe everyone has fantasized about sticking it to an ex and movies like this are beautifully cathartic.  I try and keep that in mind when I cringe over some of the less relevant sections, like the lesbian bar and the impromptu musical number.  It's worth it for the supporting cast alone, featuring Maggie Smith, Bronson Pinchot and a blink-and-you'll-miss-it bit part by Timothy Olyphant.

No comments:

Post a Comment