Sunday, June 28, 2015

High Tension (2003)


This French horror film ruffled the waters a few years back.  I found it on a list of the 100 Goriest Horror Movies and added it to my queue.  I didn't put the whole hundred on because I had seen some of them and others just didn't sound good.  Martyrs also came off that list, as well as a couple of Japanese horrors that haven't come up yet.

Marie (Cecile de France) goes with her friend Alexia (Maiwenn) to Alexia's parents' house out in the country so they can study for their college exams without distraction.  Of course, that means that the very first night they arrive, a psychopath (Philippe Nahon) breaks in and slaughters Alexia's mom, dad, and little brother before kidnapping her.  Marie manages to hide from the killer during the initial rampage but must find a way to follow him in order to save her friend.

I think the filmmakers did a great job hiding the third-act twist for most of the movie.  I had already had it spoiled for me by the internet but knowing actually made me curious enough to see the movie.  If you don't know, I'm not going to spoil it for you.  I don't remember what ranking this got on the 100 Goriest, but it definitely deserved to be on the list.  There are buckets of fake blood, severed limbs, severed heads, and enough blunt force trauma to keep an entire ER busy.  It's not one that I would buy, most likely, but I did find it very entertaining to watch.  I would recommend it for fans of the slasher sub-genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment