Saturday, July 4, 2015

Galapagos (2007)

  This is actually a three-part documentary series that aired on the BBC.  I didn't know that when I added it to my queue; I thought it was just a feature.

The Galapagos Islands are famous because of giant tortoises and Charles Darwin but there is a lot more stuff going on there.  There are volcanos and salt-snorting lizards and sea lions and weird eels that pop up from the seabed like stalks of grass.  The documentary tried to cram as much stuff in as possible but there was so much to talk about that it still felt a bit rushed.  They could have made an entire season of a program about it.

It is fascinating stuff and it's beautifully shot, so it was a joy to watch.  If you're at all interested in nature or in the Galapagos in particular, I would say give this a look.  I know some people who have visiting it on their bucket lists but I'm concerned about the damage tourism is doing to their ecosystem, which is super fragile, so this is as close as I'll probably ever get.

No comments:

Post a Comment