Sunday, July 5, 2015

8 Women (2002)

  What is it with French films and surprise lesbian subtext?  That's not a set up to a Seinfeld-esque joke; I really want to know.  This is the second film in a completely unrelated genre to use the "ta-da! Lesbians!" routine that I have seen lately.  I just don't get the fascination.  They're lesbians, not aliens.

Young Suzon (Virginie Ledoyen) is home for Christmas vacation to visit her family but discovers that her father (Dominique Lemure) has been murdered and the perpetrator must have been someone still in the house.  Each of the eight women has secrets and a possible motive for wanting the patriarch dead, but all are adamant that they didn't kill him.

There is a lot going on with this film.  First of all, it's a musical murder-mystery so there are a lot of tonal shifts.  One second it's a comedy, then it's a catfight.  It's a lot like cooping over half a dozen women in the same house for a couple of days, actually.  Because it's so all over the place, it's hard to pin down whether I liked it or not.  Certainly, I liked parts of it.  I'm just not sure how I feel about it overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment