Saturday, July 11, 2015

Leaves of Grass (2009)

  Hey, everyone.  I know that I usually have something posted much earlier in the day but I had a hair appointment, then I went to a Bikram yoga class up in Baltimore so I'm just now getting home.

I've never been interested in drug culture so stoner comedies really aren't my thing.  What drew me here was the fact that Edward Norton is playing identical twins and that Tim Blake Nelson wrote and directed it.  If you're not familiar with the name, that's understandable.  He is mostly known as a character actor.

Bill (Edward Norton) is a philosophy professor on the fast track to a position at Harvard when he gets the call that his twin brother, Brady (Edward Norton), has died in a freak crossbow accident.  He drops everything and flies back to Oklahoma only to discover that Brady is very much alive and conned his brother in order to give himself an alibi in case anything happens during his business meeting.  See, Brady is also a genius but his field is hydroponics.  He is very happy selectively breeding only the choicest marijuana plants but, facing marriage and a baby on the way, has chosen to get out of the game.  The local crime boss, Pug Rothbaum (Richard Dreyfuss), does not want to let him go, so Brady concocted this scheme of being in two places at once, just in case.  Bill wants nothing to do with his brother's problems but finds a reason to stay in Janet (Keri Russell), a local poet who challenges his rigid views of himself.

This could have been totally stupid as a concept but is saved by an incredibly smart script and great performances all around.  I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is looking for an off-the-beaten-path light comedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment