Sunday, November 8, 2015

Spectre (2015)

Nominated for Best Original Song   I haven't been out to a movie since I moved apartments but, in my defense, mostly everything that came out since August I would rather rent anyway.

Except for this.  Bond demands a large screen to properly appreciate the stunts, the settings, and the cinematography.

James Bond (Daniel Craig) is in trouble after running an unsanctioned op in Mexico.  He recovered a ring with an engraved octopus, hinting at a deeper level to the conspiracy, but his boss, M (Ralph Fiennes), doesn't want to hear it.  After the whole Silva thing, the 00 project is being taken over by MI-5, and the new head, C (Andrew Scott), is planning to shut them down.  C believes that global surveillance and drones are the way of the future and human agents are obsolete.  James gives absolutely zero fucks about any of that and continues to hunt down leads for the man pulling the strings of this shadowy organization known as Spectre.

I didn't think I could love James Bond any more after Skyfall, which was a damn near perfect movie, but somehow Spectre has managed it.  I floated out of the theater with oxytocin levels so high, I half-expected to see little pink hearts popping around my head like a cartoon.  Sam Mendes did an amazing job of retelling the Bond story in a way that doesn't feel like a remake.  He brings in all the best elements of the original films but keeps it modern and never loses the darker tone to campiness.  I was already going to buy it to complete my collection but this was so good, I might go see it again in theaters.

No comments:

Post a Comment