Sunday, February 28, 2016

Room (2015)

Nominated for Best Picture, Best Actress, Best Director and Best Adapted Screenplay    This movie was utterly fascinating to watch.  With this, I have now seen all the nominees for Best Director.  It's either going to George Miller or Alejandro Inarritu and I just don't know which.

A woman (Brie Larson) and her five-year-old son (Jacob Tremblay) have been held captive inside a tiny room for his entire life and two years of her's before that.  It is all the boy has ever known but he is willing to help his mother formulate a plan to escape from their kidnapper.  Once free, they both struggle to adapt to a world that has no limits.

Did I enjoy watching this?  In parts.  Would I watch it again?  No.  Almost certainly not.  But I was totally riveted by what was happening.  I felt this movie on a deep, visceral level.  And that's about the highest praise I can give anything.  Honestly, I would be hard pressed to call any other film this year better than this one and I hope it pulls an upset and takes home Best Picture.  I enjoyed The Martian, Bridge of Spies, and Fury Road.  I felt Room.

No comments:

Post a Comment