Saturday, February 27, 2016

The Witch (2015)

Get ready for an assload of posts starting today and probably all weekend.  It's my big push to the Oscars.    This was one of the worst movies I have seen in recent memory.  After a day or two to think about it, I recognized that maybe only I would think it's an awful film because I am a practicing witch and this is exactly the type of negative propaganda that is so hard to live down.  Then I remember that I saw this with my friend, Megan, a Catholic, and she also thought it was fucking terrible.

A family in New England is banished from their community and forced to live on the edge of the woods.  After the baby goes missing, suspicion of witchcraft falls on the oldest daughter, Thomasin (Anya Taylor-Joy).  The family struggles to hold it together as weirder and weirder shit happens to them.

Again, this is a god-awful movie.  It is slow, dark, and has no real plot.  It honestly seemed like the filmmakers had taken every folktale about witches in the 17th century and stuck them all in one movie.  You could have called it Malleus Maleficarum and I would not have blinked.  But maybe you haven't read the same folktales as I have.  Maybe you would enjoy seeing family members accusing one another of consorting with the devil in the form of livestock, infanticide, and changing shape into woodland familiars.  If that is your bag, hey, go see The Witch.

No comments:

Post a Comment