Saturday, February 27, 2016

Dragonslayer (1981)

DragonslayerPoster.jpg  Chalk this one up to "random films I saw part of once then tracked down because I am obsessive".

A young wizard's apprentice named Galen (Peter MacNicol) finds himself on the hook to fulfill a quest after his master (Ralph Richardson) dies.  The quest was brought by a handful of villagers from a distant land being plagued by a dragon.  The king (Peter Eyre) has made a deal with the beast to feed it two maidens a year, drawn by lottery but the villagers are tired of seeing their daughters go to their deaths while the nobility is exempt.  It now falls on Galen to slay the beast but his magic is untried.

I saw this a long time ago and was not impressed.  I think I was expecting it to be a comedy or more child-friendly since it was produced by a Disney subsidiary.  It is a straight-up sword-and-sorcery adventure movie.  Watching it now, I can appreciate that distinction.

The special effects, especially the dragon, do not stand up as well as I would have liked.  It is a nice reminder of how far we've come with CGI and even practical effects.  All in all, not a film I would strongly recommend to people who are not already nostalgic about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment