Monday, February 15, 2016

Olympus Has Fallen (2013)

  I don't know if I've ever mentioned it before, but my ex-boyfriend, Rob, used to work in the White House.  As such, he was very interested in films and TV shows that portrayed the building so he could point out every singe inaccurate thing.  He saw both the White-House-under-attack films that came out in 2103, this one and White House Down.  Of the two, this one is supposedly the more accurate.  So there's a semi-expert opinion for you guys.

Secret Service Agent Mike Banning (Gerard Butler) failed to save the First Lady (Ashley Judd) a year ago and has been languishing at a desk job in the Treasury Department since.  But when a North Korean terrorist (Rick Yune) leads an assault on the White House and holds the President (Aaron Eckhart) hostage, Banning leaps into action, infiltrating the building in order to find the President's son (Finley Jacobsen) before the boy can be used as leverage.

It's essentially Die Hard in the White House but man, is it impressively violent.  I haven't seen Antoine Fuqua's most famous movie, Training Day, but I have enjoyed all of his films that I have seen.  He's very gifted at creating taut, believable action sequences and gritty but not nihilistic atmospheres.  I probably wouldn't buy this film but it was good enough that I'll watch the upcoming sequel, London Has Fallen, when it comes out on Netflix.

No comments:

Post a Comment