Saturday, February 27, 2016

Steve Jobs (2015)

Nominated for Best Actor and Best Supporting Actress    I really didn't want to see this movie.  It looked like it was going to be boring and I didn't care about the subject matter.  But I watched it anyway and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought.

The movie follows Steve Jobs (Michael Fassbender) through three product launches in 1984, 1988, and 1998 and his interactions with various people in his life, from his long-suffering marketing executive Joanna Hoffman (Kate Winslet), his former CEO/mentor John Scully (Jeff Bridges), and founding partner Steve Wozniak (Seth Rogan) to his estranged former lover Chrisann Brennan (Katherine Waterston) and daughter, Lisa (Mackenzie Moss, Ripley Sobo, and Perla Haney-Jardine).

I can't really explain why this movie was good.  It was a bunch of people standing and talking.  There was a magic to it, though, that kept me from looking at my phone for the entire running time.  I think I was afraid this was going to be another Social Network but I didn't hate this, even though it too showed a public figure sacrificing personal relationships at the altar of genius.  I'm beginning to think that says more about Aaron Sorkin than it does about either Mark Zuckerberg or Steve Jobs.

Also, can I take a moment to really appreciate Michael Stuhlbarg?  This man is in two of the Oscar nominated films for Best Actor and has standout performances in both.  I really hope his star is on the rise because he is excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment