Sunday, February 26, 2017

Moonlight (2016)

Nominated for Best Picture, Best Supporting Actor, Best Supporting Actress, Best Director, Best Cinematography, Best Film Editing, Best Original Score, and Best Adapted Screenplay    Okay, so the Oscars are in about 15 minutes and I have seen almost none of the nominees.  I knew this was going to be an off year, but holy crap.  I think I only saw 16 out of around 54.  That is not a good percentage.  My plan was to watch a couple more today but I went to a brunch that turned into an eight-hour drinking session.

Don't judge me.

If I only had to watch one Oscar nominee this year, I would have liked for it to have been this one.  Moonlight is such a beautiful film.  Someone I read had described it as a tonal poem and they're not wrong.  It's hard to even come up with a synopsis that does it justice.

A withdrawn, emotionally abused Miami boy (Alex Hibbert) is taken in by the world's nicest crack dealer, Juan (Mahershala Ali), as a surrogate father, but soon realizes that Juan is also the one who sells crack to the boy's mother (Naomie Harris).  He grows into a troubled teen (Ashton Sanders) struggling with his own identity and sexuality, before becoming a man (Trevante Rhodes) who has embraced all the things he once abhorred.

You are doing yourself a disservice if you don't see this movie.  At the very least, this should win Best Adapted Screenplay, but I wouldn't rule it out for Best Director, and maybe Best Picture.  I'm turning off my phone so there are no spoilers for the actual winners, because I turn the ceremony on about half an hour late so I can fast forward through all the commercials.  I guess we'll all find out in about three hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment