Sunday, February 21, 2010

Inglourious Basterds (2009)

Nominated for: Best Motion Picture, Achievement in Directing, Best Supporting Actor, Best Original Screenplay, Achievement in Cinematography, Achievement in Film Editing, Sound Editing, and Sound Mixing

I was quite surprised by how much I liked this movie. Netflix completely failed me by having zero available copies for well over two months, so I had to buy it. This is always a risky proposition with Tarantino films. It should come as no shock that I am not a card-carrying fan. Don't get me wrong. I liked Four Rooms and Kill Bill vol. 2. I like him better when he's collaborating, though.

He's like a super-strong cologne: overpowering in large doses but tolerable in a diluted form.

I do think the movie could have done with a few head's-up, though. Like, "hey, there are a LOT of subtitles." It's not that I hate subtitles, quite the contrary, I just wasn't expecting them from Tarantino. FYI #2: Don't get attached to anyone. Seriously. Almost everybody dies. Don't even learn their names.

I think that's about it. I don't necessarily believe that this movie deserves all the nominations that it got. It damn sure shouldn't be up for Best Picture. I think that's a sop to Tarantino's ego, not that it needs the inflating from the interviews I've seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment