Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Food, Inc. (2009)

Nominated for: Best Documentary Feature

I am not generally a big fan of documentaries. This is the second film I have seen nominated in this category and I have to say, this is one part of the race that is heating up for me. The Cove was good but it was good on somewhat of an emotional level. It went for a visceral response with the precision of a laser-guided missile.

Food, Inc. takes a much more cerebral approach. It presents well-reasoned, articulate arguments designed to, if not sway, at least provoke thoughts regarding the conglomerations that control food production and supply in this country.

In the first 10 minutes, I made a snap judgment (I'm judgey like that) that I would not like the message of this film. I grew up on a farm with chickens, pigs, and cattle. Do NOT come to me and bitch about how cruel it is to the chickens that we eat them. I do not give a damn how a chicken feels. It's a chicken. That being said, I could not refute from personal experience any of the data presented. And it didn't linger on the ethical considerations of poultry emotions.

I'm not an expert; I have said that many times. I don't know what the criteria for a "good" documentary vs an "adequate" one is, but I would imagine that a film that makes you think, that makes you reconsider a previously-held notion, or at least presents new facts for consideration would be more effective than one that just pushes a pre-set emotional response button. But, hell, what do I know? I liked both of them. It presents a dilemma because I honestly don't know who to root for.

On an side note: I apologize for the delay in posting this. I haven't been able to get mail regularly the last week or so. Maybe you've heard that the DC Metro area has been hammered by the fist of an angry snow-god. There is over two feet of the stuff piled beneath my windows and more just started coming down. I'll do my best to get stuff out to you, whoever you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment