Sunday, August 8, 2010

Indochine (1992)

This is a really pretty movie. It's long (2 and a half hours), but the cinematography is gorgeous. 

Catherine Deneuve plays a wealthy rubber plantation owner who raises her friends' child after they die, in the French province of Indochina before the Communist uprising and the independence of Vietnam. She hooks up with a young Naval officer but they break up (for reasons I didn't fully understand, probably because they involved feelings) and then her now-teenage daughter "falls in love" with the same guy. Awkward! Drama happens and Navy Guy gets shipped off to the ass-end of the country and the daughter decides to say "fuck it all" and runs away to find him.

It's a romantic/epic/political drama and not really the type of movie that I watch often, but it was good. I think. I'll probably have to wait til I work back around to the I's to see if it stands up to a second viewing. I would put it in the same category as Far and Away, so if you liked that one but want some foreign cred, give Indochine a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment