Monday, August 23, 2010

Poolhall Junkies (2002)

   I love men. I love men who do manly things. I love the idea of manly places where men get together to do manly things. Just the idea, though. I don't like actually being in those places because the lighting is invariably bad, the floors are sticky, and they always smell. But the knowledge that these fantastic bastions of testosterone exist somewhere makes me happy.

Poolhalls are one such place. In my head, they're hazy with cigarette smoke filtering lights with green shades over tables and full of the sounds of blues music and the crack of cue balls on the break. mmmm.

Anyway, movie.

Poolhall Junkies is about a pool hustler trying to make good. It's like Rounders but with pool and the raw bravado of Swingers with a touch of Christopher Walken for spice. The plot is pretty standard. Man has innate gift with pool that no one close to him understands, was used by a daddy figure, broke free, and is being dragged back in to save someone weaker that he feels attachment for. There is the obligatory "doubting of skills, taunting by former mentor, and pep talk from the 'guy who's seen it all'." But there's so much raw testosterone on screen, none of that even matters. I maybe wouldn't buy it, even though it does have Ernie Reyes, Jr., but it's definitely worth the rental.

No comments:

Post a Comment