Sunday, June 24, 2012

Unconscious (2004)

  Friday I did not feel well at all and, as is my prerogative, I acted like a complete invalid.  Rob made me comfortable and told me to pick a movie.  I picked this one.  He put it in the blu-ray player, patted me on the head, and informed me that he was going to be playing Battle Pirates but that I should call out if I needed anything.  Bastard. 

I settled down to watch my film, a Spanish comedy mystery set in 1913, and Rob fired up his Facebook.  Then he turned around.  After thirty minutes, he got up and sat down with me.  That's how good this movie was.

Alma (Leonor Watling) has a problem:  she is nine months pregnant and the father of her child, Leon (Alex Brendemuhl) has disappeared.  She is convinced that the answer lies with one of the four women he was treating psychiatrically and enlists the aid of her sister's husband, Salvador (Luis Tosar), to help her solve the mystery.  Poor Salvador has no defense against the determined woman and gets dragged into scrape after scrape, following a trail that could lead all the way to murder.

It really is an adorable Spanish sex comedy with an absolute suckerpunch of a final act.  I heartily recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment