Sunday, August 11, 2013

Watership Down (1978)

  I remember reading this book when I was in school but I never saw the movie.  I had heard somewhere that it wasn't all that suitable for children, despite being animated, so I thought I'd check it out.

There are definitely a couple of instances of nightmare fuel so you may not want to show this to kids under the age of 10.  I'd say that's probably a good cut-off.  The animation is pretty crap by today's standards and that actually adds to some of the more disturbing scenes.

When his brother Fiver (Richard Briars) gets a premonition of danger, Hazel (John Hurt) rounds up as many rabbits as he can to flee their warren.  They travel miles, braving all sorts of dangers, to find a place they can call home.  While searching for mates to make their colony viable, they run afoul of General Woundwort (Harry Andrews), a tyrannical Chief who rules his warren with violence and bloodshed. 

It's hard to be a prey animal.  This movie doesn't pull any punches when it comes to the fears of the rabbits.  It's very much like The Secret of NIMH but with less anthropomorphizing.  There is also a very definite mysticism and mythology which I thought was really beautiful.  I'd say see it and then read the book to get the real meat of the story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment