Saturday, August 24, 2013

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (2009)

  Thursday was my 31st birthday.  My mom got me Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and Fantastic Mr. Fox.  Since I had watched Mr. Fox with her in the theater, I decided to give Cloudy a shot.

It is way cuter than I thought it would be.  It is geared firmly towards children as far as plot and dialogue, but adults won't be bored into a drooling coma. 

The tiny island town of Swallow Falls is tired of eating sardines left over from when the cannery company went out of business.  Inventor Flint Lockwood (Bill Hader) decides to come up with a machine that will transform water vapor into any food desired.  He calls it the FLDSMDFR because he is terrible with naming things.  His father (James Caan) doesn't understand why he can't just come work in the family bait shop but Flint is determined to make something so awesome the entire town will love him.  He accidentally crashes the mayor's (Bruce Campbell) presentation of a Sardine World theme park trying to get his machine to work, and gains the eye of weather intern Sam Sparks (Anna Faris).  When food begins raining from the heavens, Flint finally gets the recognition he has longed for.  Then, of course, it all goes horribly wrong.

I have to say, Steve the translated monkey (Neil Patrick Harris) was my favorite character.  Normally the animal sidekick is merely an annoyance but Steve consistently steals the spotlight.  From his fascination with mustaches to his love of gummi bears, everything he did was hilarious.  The sequel is due out later this year and I may just have to brave the knee-high crowds to go see it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment