Saturday, August 10, 2013

The Visitors (1993)

  If you've ever wanted to see Warlock as a comedy, this is the movie for you. 

Sir Godefroy, Count of Montmirail, is on his way to wed his beloved, Lady Frenogonde (Valerie Lemercier) when he captures a witch (Tara Gano).  The witch slips him a potion and he accidentally kills his fiancée's father (Patrick Burgel).  Frenegonde decides to join a convent, leaving the knight with no hope of descendants.  In desperation, he turns to his father's senile wizard (Pierre Vial) who tries to send him back to moments before the accident.  However, he ends up in 800 years in the future with his hapless valet, Jacquasse (Christian Clavier).  They find that the 1990's are a far different animal than the 1100's.  With the help of the current Countess Montmirail (Valerie Lemercieer), Godefroy must find the wizard's spellbook in order to get back to his own time.

I couldn't tell you precisely why, but this movie left me completely cold.  I love Jean Reno.  The man is incredibly versatile as an actor, and he can surely do comedy.  But I was so bored halfway through, I started fast forwarding, skipping five minutes at a time, just to get to the end.  Maybe I've seen too many fish-out-of-water stories or maybe I was just too tired to appreciate it.  I don't know.  I feel bad, because this seems like something right up my alley.  I just didn't like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment