Sunday, August 25, 2013

Le Corbeau (1942)

  I'm not nearly as big of a film snob as I'd like to be, but I have to say, the Criterion Collection knows their shit.

Small towns run on gossip, everyone knows this.  But, when the residents of St. Robin start receiving poison pen letters from a mysterious Corbeau (Raven), it becomes clear that someone knows all their little secrets and isn't hesitating to spread them around.  Standoffish doctor Germain (Pierre Fresnay) in particular is targeted, accused of having an affair with his colleague's wife (Micheline Francey) and practicing abortions.  But he is not the only one.  As the secrets are revealed in ever more blatant ways, the public is whipped into a frenzy to find the one responsible. 

The only criticism I would make against this movie is that Germain is not as sympathetic a character as I would have liked to see.  His motivations are revealed too late and too dryly to resonate.  Otherwise, it's a very classy drama with a gorgeous transfer.  I would definitely recommend a watch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment