Sunday, July 27, 2014

Colombiana (2011)

In honor of the opening weekend for Luc Besson's new movie, Lucy, which I haven't gotten to see yet, I decided to go back and re-watch Colombiana.  I enjoyed it a lot more the second time around, especially the final fight between Zoe Saldana and Jordi Molla.  I don't know why I didn't pay attention to it the first time, but it is a really well constructed fight scene.  No shaky cam, no irritating jump cuts, just fast choreography and good use of props.  Also, this time I noticed the parkour chase at the beginning of the film for what it was, and discovered that it was choreographed by none other than David Belle from the Besson-produced District B-13.  I love it when people stay in touch.

I also watched one of the special features called "Assassins" which didn't really have much of a point, but did have a decent interview with Zoe Saldana about the preparations she made to do this film.  She has never shied away from physicality in any of her roles and you can see the commitment she brings to each character.  She talks about what it takes to carry a film and that is exactly what she is doing here.  All the other characters exist just to give her something at which to aim.     12/11/2011
Luc Besson loves him some warrior women.  This one is more of what I was hoping La Femme Nikita would be, although I could have stood even less of the emotional vulnerability.  Is it really too much to ask to have a badass female assassin who doesn't cry every half hour?  I'm just sayin'.

Cataleya (Zoe Saldana) is a young girl when her parents are murdered by the leader of a drug cartel.  She moves to Chicago to live with her uncle (Cliff Curtis) and becomes an assassin for hire.  She has a no-strings (on her part) relationship with an artist (Michael Vartan) and spends her free time killing off members of the cartel in various ways.  She signs each kill with the drawing of an orchid on their chest.  Naturally, the FBI takes a very dim view of these killings and puts two agents on the trail of the "man" that did it.  Almost despite themselves, they come very close to discovering her real identity, forcing her to outwit them and the cartel.

It's very violent, fairly bloody, and solidly entertaining overall.  Rob didn't like it as much as I thought he would, considering that he's usually easier to please.  He was very willing to speak up about perceived inaccuracies, which is usually my job.  Maybe I just have a blind spot for revenge films, but I liked it.  I'm even throwing it onto my Christmas blu-ray wish list.

No comments:

Post a Comment