Monday, July 14, 2014

High Plains Drifter (1973)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e2/High_Plains_Drifter_poster.jpg  I don't think Clint Eastwood has ever done an overt horror movie but he does like skirting the supernatural.

This and Pale Rider are my two favorite Eastwood westerns.  I'm a big fan of avenging badasses. 

A mysterious stranger (Clint Eastwood) rides into the tiny mining town of Lago, upsetting the locals who don't take kindly to newcomers.  It seems like their collective luck has taken a down turn after a U.S. Marshal was whipped to death one night.  The stranger just wants a bath and a drink, but after he kills three of the town's muscle, the sheriff (Walter Barnes) is sent around to talk to him.  Not to arrest him, but to hire him.  The three men who killed the Marshal are due out of jail in a few days and the whole town is worried.  So they offer the stranger carte blanche if he will train them on how to set up an ambush. 

This is one of those movies that just gets better every time you watch it.  I don't think I ever paid attention to the town's big secret before or maybe I just forgot.  It's kind of a throwaway, really, since all the action surrounds the stranger and the three convicts, but it's an extra layer that I just noticed this last time.

In other news, I watched the first season of How I Met Your Mother.  I know I completely missed the boat on this being culturally relevant since the first season is now almost a decade old, but it's not like TV goes bad.  The show itself is pretty good, but it seems like one of those where you hate the main character for being a whiny bitch and only watch for the supporting cast and guest stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment