Saturday, July 19, 2014

How to Lose Friends and Alienate People (2008)

    Sidney (Simon Pegg) is a London celebrity journalist desperately trying to get into the In Crowd.  After a disastrous attempt at infiltrating one of the hottest A-list parties, Sidney is contacted by publishing guru Clayton Sharpe (Jeff Bridges), with a job offer.  Sidney moves to New York City but soon finds that, instead of skewering pompous celebrities and their toadies, Sharpe's magazine panders to them, fawning over every self-important hack the PR Queen of New York, Eleanor Johnson (Gillian Anderson), sends their way.  Sidney thinks he is above such nonsense until he meets ingenue Sophie Maes (Megan Fox), and loses her to his slick co-worker Lawrence (Danny Huston).

This is a mostly cute little comedy with an appropriate amount of star power.  Keep an eye peeled for cameos and later-famous people like Chris O'Dowd, Max Minghella, Thandie Newton, and Daniel Craig.

I know I probably should have mentioned Kirsten Dunst in there somewhere, because she's part of the movie, but honestly, I really didn't care for her in this role.  Ever since The Cat's Meow, I've had a really hard time trying to connect with her as an actress.  I don't know what it is about her but it seems like she's just grown more shrill and irritating as she's aged.  I feel like she's actually lost depth, like a puddle drying out in the sun.  I blame Sam Raimi's Spiderman.  I think that was the pivotal point in her career and that's when things started to fall apart for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment