Sunday, July 27, 2014

Collateral (2004)

  I had heard really good things about this movie when it came out but I never got around to seeing it until this past week.  I have to say, this is one of the better roles I've seen Tom Cruise do in a long time.

Max (Jamie Foxx) is an L.A. cab driver with dreams of starting his own limo company.  After dropping off a cute prosecutor (Jada Pinkett-Smith), he picks up a businessman named Vincent (Tom Cruise).  Vincent is only in town for one night to do a series of jobs so he talks Max into being his personal driver.  Unfortunately, their first stop involves a man falling from a window right onto Max's cab.  That's when he learns that Vincent is actually a contract killer there to clean up loose ends for a drug kingpin named Felix (Javier Bardem).  Now Max must navigate his way through L.A.'s nightlife with a sociopath in his backseat, the cops on his tail, and Felix's goons lurking in the shadows.

It took me damn near half the movie to recognize Mark Ruffalo as the main detective.  I placed the voice but he looked so different I thought I must be wrong.  It was shocking how good the supporting cast was in this movie.  You'll recognize almost everyone in it from something else.

In other news, I've been catching up on some TV shows via Netflix.  I watched the first season of Hemlock Grove, which was not great.  It started off pretty entertaining, but lost any sense of humor around episode 5 or 6.  Plus, it never felt like it quite knew what tone it wanted to take.  Most of the cast is supposed to be teenaged but that just makes the sex scenes creepy and weird.  There's horror, sure, but it tries so hard to be horrific that it seems almost like someone emptied a shelf of horror DVDs in a blender and slapped on some title cards.  Towards the end, I found myself skimming the episodes to get the gist and then moving on, just to get through it faster.  The second season has just been released but I will not be watching it.

No comments:

Post a Comment