Sunday, February 8, 2015

Elizabeth: the Golden Age (2007)

Elizabeth golden poster.jpg  The first time I saw this movie, I was bitterly disappointed in it.  I loved the first one and this felt like a total retread.  Watching it again, I realized that it's not as bad as I thought.  I still think it's derivative but it's a decent enough sequel.

Queen Elizabeth I (Cate Blanchett) is still facing issues due to her Protestant faith and strict refusal to marry.  Her former brother-in-law, Phillip of Spain (Jordi Molla) is preparing an armada of ships in order to return England to its Catholic glory; Mary, Queen of Scots (Samantha Morton), is plotting her ascent to the British throne from house arrest; and Elizabeth's trusted advisor, Sir Francis Walthingham (Geoffrey Rush) is doing everything he can to foil assassination plots against her.  Fortunately, the arrival of Walter Raleigh (Clive Owen) from the New World serves as a welcome distraction from all these troubles.

Cate Blanchett was nominated once again for reprising her role, for which she should have won over Gwyneth Paltrow in 1999, and lost to Marion Cotillard for La Vie en Rose.  I can't fault that decision.  This did win for Best Costume Design.  It also features Rhys Ifans, Abbie Cornish, and Eddie Redmayne.  I wouldn't recommend watching Elizabeth and The Golden Age back-to-back, but I have reversed my decision on only owning the former.

No comments:

Post a Comment