Sunday, February 1, 2015

The Dukes of Hazzard (2005)


  

  This movie is the antithesis of comedy.  I feel like it actually subtracted laughter from my life.  There was not a single moment that was not idiotic, overblown, and cribbed from far better comedies.

Bo (Seann William Scott) and Luke (Johnny Knoxville) Duke are cousins who use their orange Dodge Charger, the General Lee, to run their Uncle Jesse's (Willie Nelson) moonshine all across their home county of Hazzard, Georgia.  But when their farm is seized by local magnate Boss Hogg (Burt Reynolds), the boys discover that he plans to strip mine the town for coal.

This extended episode of Jackass was directed by Jay Chandrasekhar, one of the main forces behind the Broken Lizard comedy troupe, responsible for --really only the one hit-- Super Troopers.  Chandrasekhar pulls in his other troop members to try and liven up the proceedings, but only succeeds in making me wish I had watched Super Troopers again.

Believe it or not, I used to watch the original Dukes of Hazzard when I was a little girl.  I even had a Daisy Duke TV tray.  I don't remember much about the episodes (I was around five or six) but I remember enjoying them.  I did not enjoy this remake.  Even though it has people that I usually really like.  James Roday (Psych), Lynda Carter (Wonder Woman), and Michael Weston all did their best but they were paddling up a waterfall of suck.  No wonder no one from the original cast wanted to be a part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment